1. Who is entitled to school transportation?
Students who reside within the RSB territory and are enrolled in his/her in-zone school (and do not reside within the walking zone).

2. What is the distance considered to be a walker?
A walker is a student who resides within the following limits:
• Kindergarten: Resides within a walking distance of 0.8 km or less of the school
• Elementary: Resides within a walking distance of 1.6 km or less of the school
• Secondary: Resides within a walking distance of 2 km or less of the school

3. As a parent what is my responsibility to school transportation?
It is the parent’s responsibility to assure their child’s safety between the home and the bus stop. In addition, parents must inform their child of the rules of conduct as well as the appropriate behavior to adopt in order to insure safety while riding the school bus. (See Safety Section)

4. What is the cost of transportation?
Transportation is a privilege, therefore there is no cost related to this service.  However, for certain schools, transportation is provided by city buses (RTL). A 60% reimbursement is given in the month of May to those who have to purchase the monthly pass.

Also, students who are not eligible for transportation (walkers or out-of-zone students) and have been granted an available seat on the bus will need to pay a fee of $200 starting in the 2014-2015 school year.

5. How do I find my in-zone school?
You must contact the Transportation Department via the online platform by clicking here.

6. I am moving, who should I advise?
You should inform the secretary of the school that your child attends as soon as possible.  She will then make the necessary changes to the computer system.  The new address automatically gets transmitted to the Transportation Department.  Once the transportation department receives the address change, it takes a minimum of two (2) working days for a new bus route to be assigned.  However, during the beginning of the school year, the process could take longer.

7. How is the location of the bus stops determined?
Bus stops are determined by the Riverside School Board and are generally situated at intersections. However, except in certain cases when security is an issue (rural areas) bus stops can be located directly in front of a student’s home.

8. How far away will the bus stop be located from my child?
The maximum length a kindergarten student will have to walk to reach the bus stop is 400 meters.  For elementary and secondary students, the maximum is 800 meters.

9. How would I request a change in a bus stop location?
It is possible to ask for a bus stop change by contacting Transportation Services via the online platform and ask a “Change of bus stop”. Please note that the changes are reviewed and granted in accordance with the Transportation Policy.

10. If my child has shared custody, and therefore has two addresses, can he/she have two bus route?
It is possible to have two different bus routes.  You can request a second place on a school bus in the event of shared custody. Please inform your school secretary of the second address so that it included in the student’s file while specifying that transportation is required.

11. Are all eligible students transported by yellow school buses?
The majority of our students are transported by yellow school buses, but not all.  Sometimes, berlines are used. Certain students take public transportation (RTL) to school, however, these buses have pre-established circuits that are dedicated to our students.

12. If my child does not respect the rules and regulations on the bus, what will happen?
On a school bus, the adult responsible is the bus driver. It is essential for the safety of all students to obey the driver’s instructions.  If a student does not respect the bus rules he/she will receive a verbal warning.  If the problem persists, the bus driver will issue a disciplinary report to the school, where the principal will then take the proper measures. The consequences can range from a one-day suspension from the bus to a suspension from the bus for the whole year. Transportation is a privilege and students must follow the rules and guidelines to ensure a safe and secure bus ride to and from school.

13. If my child is a walker, is there a way that he can take the school bus?
You must contact Transportation Services via the online platform and request an available seat. In accordance with our transportation policy and when possible, your child may obtain an available seat; however, no modifications will be made to the existing route.

Please note that a fee will be charged to every student who has been granted an available seat. ($200 fee)

r14. If my child would like to go play at a friend’s house after school, can I write a note on his/her agenda or ask the bus driver?
No. All changes must be made and approved by the Transportation Department. Furthermore, all changes must be on
a regular basis. No one-time change will be granted. School transportation is a service to transport students to and from school only. It is the responsibility of the parents/guardians to arrange their own transportation in these special cases.15. Can my child take the bus from his babysitter’s house in the morning, or go back there in the afternoon?
Yes, as long as this stop is used on a regular basis (to ensure safety). You can “request a second address” via the Transportation Services online platform.