DAY AND NIGHT CARETAKER, CLASS II
BANK OF CANDIDATES
SHORT, MEDIUM OR LONG TERM REPLACEMENT
NATURE OF WORK: The principal and customary work of an employee in this class of employment consists in being responsible for carrying out the maintenance work as well as the preventive and physical upkeep of an educational institution or building, and being responsible for a total area covering less than 9 275 m2. The role also consists in organizing and carrying out such work as well as coordinating and overseeing it when it is carried out with or by other employees. In addition, he or she performs the characteristic functions of the class of employment of maintenance workman, class II.
CHARACTERISTIC FUNCTIONS: The employee in this class of employment must ensure the cleanliness of the premises. In this respect, he or she organizes and carries out maintenance work by performing maintenance workman, class II duties, according to the schedule established with his or her superior; he or she ensures that the maintenance apparatus and equipment are kept in good condition. He or she must ensure that the building and its equipment are in good condition. He or she inspects and verifies the lighting, heating and ventilation systems; he or she ensures the operation of heating equipment which does not require the presence of a stationary engineer. He or she carries out or ensures that the required preventive upkeep is carried out; he or she carries out minor or temporary repairs; he or she reports any breakdown detected and ensures that the necessary repairs are carried out; he or she follows up the work of specialized or nonspecialized workmen. He or she repairs doors, windows and furniture; he or she may assemble and install material. He or she takes all the necessary measures to ensure adequate security against fire and theft. In certain specific cases and, as required, he or she monitors the comings and goings of visitors, students and staff. If need be, he or she ensures the preparation of rooms and halls. In keeping with the procedure established, he or she orders or purchases materials, products and equipment required for maintenance work; he or she keeps an inventory; he or she ensures that the standards respecting the safe use, storage and disposal of products are respected. He or she makes suggestions and recommendations concerning products, materials, equipment and work methods. He or she may be required to coordinate, supervise and oversee the work of other nonspecialized employees. If need be, he or she performs any other related duty.
· At least three years of pertinent experience or hold a DVS in General Building Maintenance;
· A general knowledge of the operation of systems which a caretaker looks after: heating, ventilation, lighting and security, theft and fire systems;
· Basic knowledge of the main construction trades.
· Ability to communicate in English and in French.
· Ability to complete simple reports.
· Knowledge of the techniques used for sealing, waxing, scrubbing and polishing floors.
· Good interpersonal skills.
· Ability to coordinate and plan preventive, physical and cleaning tasks of a school.
· Must be able to work with a minimum of supervision.
· A medical certificate confirming that the candidate is physically capable of doing the job will be required (only for new employees to the Riverside School Board)
Riverside School Board has implemented an Equal Access Employment Program and encourages applications from women, members of visible and ethnic minorities, Aboriginal people and people with disabilities.