A certificate of eligibility is required for all children attending an English school in Québec and the government has specific criteria that must be met according to the Charter of the French Language.

Children who are declared eligible for instruction in English through a permanent certificate of eligibility may pursue their studies in French and still transfer their right to receive instruction in English to their children.  There is no time limit after which it expires.  These children are also able to transfer eligibility to their siblings.

There are several types of certificates that can be obtained, depending on which conditions are met.  There are many variables and these are general guidelines.  You should contact the School or Riverside School Board if you have further questions.  It is important to note that the government no longer issues certificates of eligibility to children prior to their registration in a private/public school (must be at least 4 years old).

Please click here for more information on how to obtain a long-form birth certificate.

Please click here for more information regarding Eligibility for English Instruction.