As you may know, the Government of Québec, in agreement with the Public Health Department, has made the decision to open all schools and centres in Québec on Monday, January 17, 2022. All Riverside School Board schools and centres will therefore be open for all its staff and students. School transportation services, daycare services, and student services will also be open and functional.
Given the current epidemiological situation, we anticipate, like all sectors of society, being faced with inevitable adjustments, changes in guidelines, and even service disruptions. Therefore, we ask parents and guardians, students, our staff, and partners to work closely together in the days and weeks ahead. The objective is to keep our schools and centres open in order to allow students to benefit from in-person teaching, to avoid a sedentary lifestyle, and above all, to avoid academic delays and isolation. We will do everything to achieve these objectives, however, the reality of the pandemic could disrupt our daily lives. The flexibility, understanding, and collaboration of all will be necessary to ensure the success of this return to school. We ask you to take note that:
- No individual distance learning will be offered for students who are at home (student in isolation);
- Possibility for your child to have substitute teachers on a regular basis;
- Possibility for your child to have a teacher who teaches remotely (even if your child is in class – teacher that tests positive for COVID);
- Possibility of distance education from home;
- Possibility of service breakdown in school transportation (due to lack of bus drivers). It is therefore important not to let your child take the bus alone in the morning in case there is no driver to cover the bus route;
- Possibility of temporary class closures;
- Possibility of temporary school closures;
- No extracurricular activities are permitted at this time.
Wearing of the Procedural Mask
- Compulsory only on school transportation.
- Mandatory at all times inside the school, i.e., in classrooms, in daycare, in common areas and in-between classes, in indoor physical education classes when a minimum distance of two meters is impossible between students, as well as on school transportation.
- Mandatory at all times inside the school, i.e., in classrooms, in common areas and in-between classes, in indoor physical education classes when a minimum distance of two meters is impossible between pupils, as well as in school transport.
- Adult Education and Vocational Training
- Compulsory at all times, even in class.
Changes in Positive Case Management Recommendations
- Do not send your child to school if they have symptoms of COVID;
- Given the shorter incubation period of the Omicron variant, its low probability of complications in children, and the high vaccination coverage of the population, a student or staff member who is adequately vaccinated (two or three doses) and who is COVID positive must self-isolate for 5 days from the onset of symptoms;
- A student or staff member who is not adequately vaccinated (one dose or not vaccinated) and who is COVID positive must isolate for 10 days from the onset of symptoms;
- Given the large circulation of the variant, the fact that the public authorities are no longer able to follow its transmission and that contacts other than those of the close family are no longer isolated, no letter will be sent to the parents to advise them of a positive case in a class;
- In elementary schools, a rapid test must be negative before returning your child to school.
Additional boxes of masks will be distributed to students so that they can change their mask (at least two masks per day). Rapid tests will also be distributed to elementary students as soon as we receive them (distribution is scheduled for next week).
Your collaboration and our efforts are necessary to protect the health and safety of students and our staff. We take this opportunity to remind you that vaccination is a major tool in this regard.
Thank you for your collaboration. The fight against the coronavirus is everyone’s business!